Angie's amazing post on favorite 2012 outfits
was fun to browse through and look at all these outfit gems.
However this thread has also made me to go through my 2012 photo archives and analyze which outfits really stand out for me among the rest of them.
It proved to be an incredibly useful exercise as I have made a couple of discoveries along the way:
1. Surprisingly almost half of them are from a warm season- summer and early fall. Historically it would be my less favorite season to dress, time when I feel less inspired but this year was different. I think this is because I have added several wardrobe items which were fun to dress with: yellow / cream oxfords, nude cage sandals, white wide leg trousers, BF jeans, white long blazer - they made my summer dressing so much fun! Note to myself: careful addition of a few trendy and fun items really perks my wardrobe and makes it fun to play in it. I don't need a lot of them for a new season but they really have to be well thought through.
2. I still wear skinny jeans and trousers but they appeal to me in lesser degree than other styles. Slouchy and looser fitting styles are my favorite now and feel the most fashion forward even if not conventionally flattering. I still enjoy wearing wide leg trousers and jeans but they are more difficult to manage in winter with rain and snow than tapered legged styles.
3. While I still wear the heck out of my 2 leather blazers I have noticed that I reach for my other shorter jackets less and less, especially with trousers. I have only 2 longer jackets - grey knit Gibson and white cotton blazer from Melanie Lyne (summer only) and I noticed they get much more wear than my others. Getting a few longer good quality blazers is one of my style goals for 2013 (NAS, I have high hopes for you!) and I resolved myself to spend more money on them than I am accustomed to.
4. 2012 was "bootie" year for me: I went from 1 pair of shooties to 5 in total including 2 pairs in animal print and one in burgundy color. They are my favorite footwear style now and I mourn the fact that I have to give them a break until the spring with all our snow :-(
5. I really embraced semi-tuck trend because I find it fun and flattering for my curves - much more so than full tuck, especially with looser fitting trousers and jeans.
6. I am really moving towards more "minimal style with big presence" if I can call it so. I like clean lines, contrast in shapes, colors and textures and strong and simple statements. I still use my jewelery but less so than before. I also found with surprise than I have a lot of neutral outfits among my favorites - I who almost did not own more thyan 5 garments in total in neutral colors prior to YLF, mostly colors. I still love my colors and wear them a lot but neutrals have a big place in my style now.
6. Last but not least: I still don't have a name for my style and have no idea what it is (no rubric, key words or other helpful exercises we had on YLF) but I definitely have a lot of fun with fashion!